The Works is where kids explore how things work.
We are a hands-on museum that inspires kids to explore engineering and STEM (science, technology, engineering, and math) through fun, interactive exhibits and cool programs. Kids use the Engineering Design Process to build, create and solve a variety of engineering challenges.
Kids bring their natural curiosity to The Works and leave with a sense of pride and self-confidence that they can build, invent, create and do much more than they ever imagined. Kids create moments of discovery: a paper tube becomes a flashlight with simple circuitry, or for an especially imaginative child, perhaps that flashlight becomes a light saber, magic wand or deep space exploration tool.
We serve 70,000 people annually through family visits, school field trips, workshops and programs we bring directly into schools. The Works is the Twin Cities' expert in elementary engineering education. We make it fun, memorable, and easy.
What new functionality we are looking for
We want our website to engage our community and bring our mission to life online. Our ideal website will be:
1) More editable - We hope to replace our old CMS (Fishbone) with something more modern and functional;
2) More mobile - Currently we're leaving our phone and tablet-toting museum-goers in web purgatory;
3) Easier to use - We need a shopping cart process that makes it easy to schedule groups and field trips, reserve a birthday party room, purchase memberships, and make donations to support The Works. Our current website is getting in the way and making our community frustrated!
4) More interactive - We don't have a place to collect blog posts, videos, or activities. Our Facebook, Twitter and YouTube are lonely outposts cut off from our website!
5) Cooler - This part's up to our nerd team! Help us project an aura of engineering and technology coolness! Kids and teachers love how fun and cool our museum is, but you'd never know it from our website.
How the new functionality will help
Our website is stagnant in comparison to our vibrant and growing museum. It doesn't reflect our leadership role in elementary engineering. It's not fun, engaging, or easy to use - all things visitors love about our museum!
A new website will allow us to better engage teachers, parents and kids online. In short, we'll be able to service our community more efficiently and effectively, and extend The Works's impact beyond the walls of our museum.
We moved to our own permanent home in Bloomington in November 2011 and are poised to bring engineering fun to more families, schools and kids than ever before. A new website will help us be a more complete, responsive and visitor-focused organization during an exciting and transformative time in our history.
How our organization will use the technology
Who will use the technology
65 Messages from Supporters